Friday, January 23, 2009

Notable Quotables

In light of the new series at Discovery "(6? )things people hate about Christians".

One thing I hate about Christians is that they are so cliche', the same canned answers that they stole from someone else...(I am so guilty of this). Like "if you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything" or "Dear Jesus, thank you for this day...and please be with..." (guilty again daily) or "people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care". I need some more examples...

I am not opposed to the truth behind these statements but regurgitating old quips and sermon titles to give someone counsel or help someone hurting, just doesn't cut it. Many times it shows a lack of individual thought and caring. People want to see authenticity and they want to know you are listening.

I know that I use cliche's because I feel like I have to give an answer, I mean God has all the answers, I am a child of God, so I must have something to offer. What I end up doing is frustrating people with hollow advice and reinforcing bad stereotypes, like being quick to judge.

However if you must be Cliche then...come up with your own fun ones. My closest friends hear these all the time and can even finish my sentences like...
"Thursday" if you ask me when something is going to happen expect it to happen on a Thursday.
"Change your life" is something I use when trying new foods, if you have yet to taste a grand recipe from the Rice household it will "change your life".
My newest patented phrase is "Pork and Beans" in an effort not to use potty language around my kids (cuz they are catching on) I choose the phrase "pork and beans" when i am frustrated, frazzled, or freaked out...or if I smash my thumb with a hammer.

Alright you gotta share with me your favorite expressions...

2 comments:

Dean Hewitt said...

Do you assume everyone that makes the claim of being a Christian is actually a Christian?...or do you engage in salvation discussions with them to determine whether they are whom they claim to be? Do you think that getting folks to act a certain way, say certain things,do certain things,or go to church merits the title of "Christian"? It would be interesting to know what you believe a "Christian" is.

"6 things I hate about Christians" sounds rather judgmental doesn't it?....understanding everyone is at differing levels in their worthy walk and shouldn't be judged according to their spiritual maturity....but rather on a doctrinal level.

Apparently the author of this particular sermon series has set himself as the final authority according to the title..."I hate".
I would venture to say, after much careful thought...the author of this sermon series has confused salvation with a lifestyle adjustment which only follows as the night to day, understanding his involvement in a denomination such as the SBC. Have you ever given any thought to why any church or association would name themselves after an OT law abiding Jew who never , not even one day in his life heard or knew anything about the Gospel that saves a never dying soul in this present dispensation of the Grace of God. John the Baptist lost his head long before Jesus gave OUR Gospel to the apostle Paul...hmmmm...give it some thought. Plain goofy isn't?

Maybe the reason the world thinks Christians are hypocrits is because the majority of so-called Christians are doing a sloppy job of following instructions never associated with the Church, the body of Christ to begin with and are usurping Israel's position in the Old Testament books of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.

Grace and Peace!!

KingMaker said...

Hey Dean!, Thanks for finding my blog.

The sermon series is a result of some common responses of non-christians' views of christianity. And the purpose of this series (I think) is to get our people to take a self evaluation. Uncovering stereotypes and looking objectively at our flaws as a church. Much like when you take an inventory of your effectiveness as a husband, dad, and employee.
We are not so obtuse to think that we could please a non-christian or even justify a certain stereotype. But we know that churches in America look certain way and have tendancies...lets put them on the table, not to justify them but to explore them and see which ones we could fix without compromising biblical values.